Source: EBL Facebook
Click here to get the full text of the decision of the EBL Disciplinary Commission concerning Cezary Balicki and Adam Zmudzinski.
Extract: DECISION of the EUROPEAN BRIDGE LEAGUE DISCIPLINARY COMMISSION on 10 February 2017 President: Mr. Gabor Winkler (HUN) Members: Mr. Peter Schaltz (DEN) Mr. Rex Anderson (IRL) In the case of Mr. Cezary Balicki Mr. Adam Zmudzinski
The President of the European Bridge League (EBL) appointed an Investigation Committee – consisting of Messrs Eric Laurant, Jan Kamras and Jean-Paul Meyer – in order to conduct investigations into allegations that Messrs Balicki and Zmudzinski cheated at the 2014 EBL European Championships in Opatija, Croatia (the “Competition”).
The Investigation Committee conducted an investigation into the allegations of cheating, and obtained experts opinions of bridge and statistics/mathematics experts, as well as the opinion of 13 “observers” about placement of calls on the bidding tray on the second round of bidding. The Investigation Committee reached the conclusion that disciplinary proceedings should be commenced against the Players for using illicit prearranged methods and made such a recommendation to the EBL Executive Committee.
Based on the recommendation of the Investigation Committee, the EBL Executive Committee decided to constitute a Disciplinary Commission to hear and determine the cheating allegations made against the Players. The Disciplinary Commission was ultimately composed as follows: Mr. Gabor Winkler (President), Mr. Peter Schaltz and Mr. Rex Anderson (the “Commission”). The Commission was assisted by Me Serge Vittoz – attorney-atlaw in Lausanne, Switzerland – as counsel. After the exchange of written submissions, a hearing was held on 2 February 2017, at the EBL Headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The Disciplinary Commission hereby rules:
1. Messrs Cezary Balicki and Adam Zmudzinski have infringed Rule 3 of the Regulations during the 2014 EBL European Championships in Opatija, Croatia.
2. The evidence does not sustain a conviction of Messrs Cezary Balicki and Adam Zmudzinski for illicit exchange of information through prearranged methods of communication during the Competition.
3. No sanction shall be imposed on the Messrs Cezary Balicki and Adam Zmudzinski.
4. There shall be no order as to costs.
5. All other motions or prayers for relief are dismissed.
Date of the decision: 10 February 2017